By a dispatch to Mr. H. E. Hayes. from his mother, it is learned that Mr. Geo. B. Lord died, at 2 o'clock p, m. Tuesday, at Larned, Kansas. His remains will be brought here for interment in the family lot in the Olathe cemetery. An extended notice of the deceased, and an account of the funeral will appear next week.
Olathe Mirror
October 8, 1891
Page 7 col 6


 The Death of an Honored Citizen ndl the Impressive Services in his Memory

The body of our former townsman and prominent citizen, Mr. George B. Lord, was laid to rest in Olathe Cemetery last Friday forenoon, the remains being followed to the grave by a large concourse of sincere mourners.

 Mr. Lord's death occurred at Lamed, Kansas, on Tuesday, October 6, 1891, but on account of an accident on the Santa Fe railroad his remains did not arrive here at the expected time, hence the funeral ceremonies were postponed from Thursday to Friday at 10 o'clock a. m., and were conducted at the residence of the deceased on Chestnut street by Rev. A. W. Bishop, pastor of the Congregational church. The pall bearers were ex-Mayors John L. Price, Wm. Pellett, F. R. Lanter, E. J. Mariner, and Messrs. M. G. Miller and Robert M. Atchison.

Mr. Lord came of sturdy New England stock, being born in Hampton, New Hampshire, on the 29th day of December 1849. He was left an orphan when only about fourteen years of age and was the sole support of a widowed mother. With him the battle of life early commenced and in the midst of its warfare he has since abided. His first work was as an employee in the Manchester Print Works and afterwards in a bank then owned by, Gov. Smith of that state. At one time he served as page in the New Hampshire Legislature.

 Throughout his youth and early manhood the willing hands were always at work at any and every honorable employment whereby he could support his mother and educate himself. He was a self-made man. He had not arrived at manhood's estate when he cast his lot with the free and progressive west, first coming to Olathe in 1863,when in his 19th year. After a short stay in Olathe, in company with his mother he moved upon a farm in Miami county, but came back to Olathe from where he went to Kansas City to work in a bank. After wards he went to St. Louis where he studied law under Judge Daniel Dillion and was admitted to the bar but never actively practised his profession.

The bent of his mind was naturally in the management of financial affairs and he soon engaged in the collection and grain business afterwards moving to Olathe. On October 13th,1876, he was married to Miss Emma Hayes, of Olathe, daughter of our worthy citizen, the late Col. J. E. Hayes, the union proving a happy one, and the well-mated couple have made Olathe their home since that time. After his marriage he again went to St. Louis for a few months but again he returned to Olathe and in 1881 he started the Johnson county Bank.

From 1885 to 1887 Mr. Lord was mayor of the city, and his official acts were dictated by that desire for the public good entirely consistent with his generous and progressive mind.

 A good man has gone from among us and the community at large will not realize the irreparable loss they have sustained until he is missed in the daily avocations of life where his manly, upright character was seen to the best advantage. Mr. Lord was a member of no sect or fraternal organization, but to do good unostentatiously seemed to be his chief aim in life. At the time of his death he was vice president for Kansas of the National Banker's Association of the United States.

Several years ago Mr. Lord, seeing the opportunities for development in the semi-arid regions of Southwest Kansas invested large sums of money in irrigating ditches of that section, and adjacent lands, and at the time of his death had only begun to realize on his investments. It was but little more than two months ago he made a trip to look after his investments, when he was stricken down with the attack of fever which proved fatal in the end. Mrs. Lord and Mrs. Hayes, his mother-in-law, were with him through his last sickness.

Geo. B. Lord was a manly and courageous man. Always active and hard working he leaned upon no one, but-unaided and alone he fought the battle of life bravely and well. One incident in his life in this city well illustrates his superb self control and dauntless courage. At the time the Johnson county bank was robbed the individual loss of Mr. Lord was sufficient to have destroyed the courage of any man and yet his first words to those who were crowding upon the scene of ruin and destruction were: "This bank will open for business as usual as soon as the train arrives from Kansas City." And it did. No man ever heard him complain nor air his loss upon the willing ears of a curious people. We violate no confidence in now saying that his loss was large and yet out of chaos he brought order and by super-human exertions brought back in part the loss of the earnings of years. His integrity was unquestioned - his credit inexhaustible. And this was the key to his whole character. He knew business men and was a busy business man in every sense of the word. He carried no burdens to his home nor to the social circles of life. Always genial, companionable and friendly he was one of those men whose friends will long remember his many excellent qualities. Verily, life's mysteries cannot be unraveled: the invalid wife is left to mourn the loss of the loved and robust husband of a few months ago.

Truly has it been written of such as he: “From the voiceless lips of the un-replying dead there comes no word, but  in the night of death hope sees a star, and listening love can hear the rustling of a wing. There was,  - there is  - no gentler, stronger, manlier man."

Olathe Mirror
October 15, 1891
Page 7, Col 6